2009年11月10日 星期二

Ambiguity Tolerance

Yesterday, our group has a presentation on ambiguity tolerance, which is the acceptances toward different grammar, culture, and so on in the other language. As the textbook has mentioned, I also think that higher tolerance is better for learning a new language. For instance, if a student love to know more about another totally different language system’s language, he or she may learn better than those who cannot tolerate the variations among languages. For a long time, I have been thinking that I am not a person of this world, because my Chinese is poor, but I could learn English faster than Chinese, what a strange phenomenon! Although my English ability is not so avant-garde, most of my friends would not understand my Chinese sometimes, and to be frank, sometimes I don’t know what I am talking about in Chinese. I am not sure whether it related to my IQ or not: I was diagnosed as a disabled one when I was pretty young, and later on, my mum teaches me in English first. When I was in kindergarten, I had another strange disease which I needed to avoid bacteria from the air, and I did not have chance to write Chinese characters in class, which is probably the reason why I am poor at my native language.Right now, I just hope that I have higher tolerance toward different languages and their cultures, and maybe some years later, I could manage more than 5 languages. I recall that in the summer vacation, I went to Deaflympics for five days, and I encountered different people: Russians, Lithuanians, Turks, and so on. They came to my Media Centre and ask for help, the thing is: they cannot speak English, and they did not want to write what they need on a piece of paper, what we could do is wait for people who could speak those languages and then we could solve the problems they had, and I don’t think it is very practical if I cannot speak those languages at the spot. Next time if volunteers needed for such an important events through the whole world, I want to learn other languages well.For many years, I always think that grammar is too difficult for me (both English and French), sometimes when I look at sentences I could recognize whether it is correct or not, while some other times, I just have no idea what a certain rules are talking about. So, perhaps I am a person who could tolerate the ambiguities more, but I do not have an organized memory to grammar. Therefore, I plan to buy a text called “Grammar in Use” recently, my friend Tina used it before, and she said that is really a well-written text for either self-study or for lectures to use in class. I follow her advice and search for a while, and found out that is British English! I love this book at once: I could learn what English people are using! I hope I could manage out the grammar in English as soon as possible, and do not have wrong structures anymore!

沒有留言:

張貼留言